EXCLUSIVE SPEC ANALYSIS
REPORT ON FEBRUARY | Trends in the Spec Market
The Spec Market
- The television business is in a state of flux as the global COVID19 pandemic continues to claim lives and impact the economy worldwide. This is an update on the TV networks and studios in light of the current industry slowdown.
- Pantheon has optioned COCAINE by Andi Albin. An overzealous police detective gets involved with a crime family that is heavily connected to the local political scene. With the 1980s cocaine wars as a backdrop, this film is immersed in the history of South Florida’s drug trade, paired with a tumultuous, violent love story.
- Legion M is producing CAPTAIN SMALLS by Robert Blake Whitehall. Robert Smalls, an enslaved man in South Carolina at the height of the Civil War, was drafted by the Confederate Navy and forced to serve. Unable to pay the money to free his family, Smalls planned one of the most audacious heists in history. By stealing the Confederate warship CSS Planter, Captain Smalls navigated the treacherous Confederate-surveilled waters to free himself, his crew, and their families.
- Zero Gravity Management is out with POLICE STATION by Kurt McLeod. An organized crime target running for his life intentionally gets arrested and thrown in jail at a police station where he thinks he’ll be safe for the night, but when the hitman pursuing him does the same, a deadly game of cat and mouse ensues.
- Verve out with SINCERELY SAMANTHA SMITH by Joe Ballarini. The incredible, inspiring true story of a 10 year-old girl who prevented World War 3. In 1982, at the peak of the Nuclear Arms hysteria between the US and Soviets, shy, quiet 10 year-old Samantha Smith shot to world-wide fame when she became pen pals with the Soviet leader who invited her and her family to Russia to discuss peace talks between the super powers.
- Ensemble out with PROKSE by G.J. Echternkamp & Kyle Stiff. In the near future, automation has replaced much of our traditional forms of employment, creating a class of mass joblessness and poverty. But a technology is invented that allows people to “rent out” their bodies to the wealthy - acting as physical proxies for their clients’ senses and desires. Now someone has taken this to the extreme, hosting Prokse parties where anything goes, even murder.
- Escape Artists out with WE ARE THE PEOPLE by Aaron Nee & Adam Nee. A Pasadena family's Fourth of July is disrupted by a cloud of ash that drives neighbors and relatives into a ranting, violent rage. Separated, struggling to survive, the family members ultimately reunite and manage to uncover the solution that restores everyone to sanity.
The Job Market
- Seeking an organized, self- motivated Manager of Development to maintain/oversee a high- volume slate of independent films and TV movies, work with screenwriters to develop targeted projects, and work on multiple projects in various stages of development.
- An individual who has a passion for telling compelling stories.You will provide creative and administrative assistance to two executives. Candidates should be independent, flexible, open-minded and solution oriented.
- Hulu is looking for someone to be Barbara Fiorentino’s casting assistant.
- Experience with talent booking, events, brands, and/or a creative agency is preferred. Responsibilities include transcribing and handling emails/contracts/invoices, running errands, social media and creating client itineraries.
- The Executive Assistant will provide executive and personal support in a one-on-one working relationship. This high-energy role is a true right arm. Strong candidates will have previous experience and training on a busy desk. We are looking for a career-driven individual who understands process and shows signs for quick growth within the company.
- A great work ethic, personality, positive energy and passion for creative development are a must. Looking for someone to start ASAP.
- Representing Talent and Influencers for branding and celebrity endorsements. Internship provides a broad understanding of the entertainment industry as well. Ideal candidates are resourceful, great at research and organized. Internship for school credit only.
- For Summer 2020. Interns will be asked to fulfill administrative duties, and also have the opportunity to read scripts and voice opinions. A strong interest in learning about the industry and the ability to write coverage is necessary.
- The ideal candidate is articulate, respectful, and has a passion for representation. Responsibilities include rolling calls, scheduling, communicating with casting, and administrative tasks.
- Ideal candidate is someone who knows both the development and production side of television and is hyper organized, tech fluent, level-headed, and a savvy communicator.
- This Associate will act as a right-hand person in the operations and growth of the business, specializing in client service and processing of all wealth management instruments including insurance and investment products.
Culver City-based Japanese-owned production Company seeks experienced Producer or Development ExecutiveThis person will be responsible for researching and developing projects, mainly Japanese IP and Japan-related materials, and pitching them to studio executives.