The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences Nicholl Fellowships in Screenwriting has announced 11 individuals and one writing team as the finalists of this year’s pool which consisted of 6,915 original screenplay submissions. The Academy Nicholl Fellowship Committee will convene later this month to select up to five winners for the coveted fellowship.
The prize consists of $35,000, the first portion of which will be awarded to the winners at a ceremony at the Samuel Goldwyn Theater on November 3. The winning screenplays will also be read live later this year. Over the last 31 years, 147 fellowships have been awarded, the prize being awarded in the hope that it will allow the writer to focus on his or her work for the fellowship year.
THE 31st ANNUAL NICHOLL FELLOWSHIP FINALISTS ARE:
• Michele Atkins, TALKING ABOUT THE SKY (Seattle)
• Josh Barkey, MARLENE THE DIVINE (Waxhaw, NC)
• Beanie Barnes, LITTLE TORO (New York City)
• Todd Condie, JOHN WAYNE SLEPT HERE (Brooklyn)
• Spencer Harvey and Lloyd Harvey, PHOTO BOOTH (Balgowlah, Australia)
• Geeta Malik, DINNER WITH FRIENDS (Los Angeles)
• Danielle Ownbey, THE BLAST-OFF INN (Glendale)
• Elizabeth Oyebode, TWEEN THE ROPES (Sunnyvale, CA)
• Justin Piasecki, DEATH OF AN ORTOLAN (Los Angeles)
• Michael Toner, HEY JUDE (Van Nuys)
• Arun K. Vir, SUBURBAN TURBAN (Los Angeles)
• Kirk Weddell, ALONE (Wimbledon, England)