With the 2019 Launch Pad Feature Competition Open For Entries, we wanted to take a moment to introduce the newest additions to our Launch Pad Mentorship Program in writers Carey Hayes & Chad Hayes (THE CONJURING), David Rabinowitz (BLACKKKLANSMAN) and Surjyakiran Das (THE CONFECTION CONNECTION).
Over the years, we have found that one of the most effective ways to help talented new writers take that first step into industry success is by working closely with experienced writers who have already broken in. That is why the Launch Pad is proud to offer exclusive mentorship opportunities for our writers to learn from those who have navigated those difficult waters before and have firsthand knowledge of the rarified air of the industry. And, as in all previous years each of our mentors (or mentor teams) will selects a minimum of one writer each to take under their wing and help guide them toward the first steps in their new careers!
CAREY HAYES & CHAD HAYES / MENTOR
- Together, this identical twin writing team have been crafting stories for the past 15 years, including genre mainstays such as THE CONJURING, THE CONJURING 2, SAN ANDREAS, WHITEOUT, HOUSE OF WAX and THE REAPING.
- They are currently in development on the reboot of the Die Hard franchise entitled MCLANE, the James Wan project THE ENTITY and the horror prequel THE FIRST OMEN.
- Up next we will see their work behind the adaptation of Henry James’ “The Turn of the Screw” in TURNING, as well as the new television series THE EXORCIST DIARIES.
DAVID RABINOWITZ / MENTOR
- Rabinowitz recently won the Academy Award for writing the Spike Lee directed BLACKKKLANSMAN.
- Prior to screenwriting he was the multimedia producer for the Wall Street Journal, and a freelance editor and motion graphics artist.
- He is currently in development on his 2018 Black List script BOLSA NEGRA with Oscar Isaac, and the adaptation of the Casey Sherman novel “Animal: The Bloody Rise and Fall of the Mob’s Most Feared Assassin” now entitled THACHER ISLAND with Greg Berlanti.
SURJYAKIRAN DAS / MENTOR
- The winner of the 2017/2018 Launch Pad Feature Competition, Das saw his winning script quickly find a home with Ed Helms and his Pacific Electric Company.
- Following his LP announcement, he went on to land on the 2018 Young & Hungry List and the Hit List, following both of those up with a selection to join the 2019 CAPE Fellowship.
- He is currently in development on projects with Sony Pictures and Romark Entertainment.
Such as previous mentors Anthony Cipriano, Cormac & Marianne Wibberly, Daniel Wallace, Gary Graham, Gary Whitta, Jason Hellerman, Joe Russo and Matt Leslie before them, each of our mentors (or mentor teams) has committed to selecting one project/writer each to work with as part of our Launch Pad Mentorship Program.
Want to learn more about the powerhouse team of 25 industry members judging this year’s competition, or the elite managers and producers behind this year’s guaranteed option and guaranteed signing prizes, click the links below to dig deeper…