Long in development, but with major additions as of late – Gavin Hood rewrite/direct, and Roberto Orci & Alex Kurtzman to direct, the blockbuster series of sci-fi novels from Orson Scott Card, may finally come to life, as Oddlot Entertainment and Kurtzman/Orci begin to shop the new ENDER’S GAME package around town!
The project will be finding it’s way into every studio, including the previous owners at Warner Brothers, over the weekend, and into next week.
But, before that, a quick look at the history.
1985 – The original book – “Ender’s Game” is published, and followed by a number of other books in the series, with the only other one tightly tied to the original being “Ender’s Shadow” which was published in 1999, and is a “parallel” novel (meaning it takes place at the same time, and includes the same events as the original “Ender’s Game”.
- 2002 – Warner Brothers buys the rights to “Ender’s Game” and “Ender’s Shadow” and commissions Orson Scott Card to adapt.
- 2003 – Card turns in his final draft.
- 2003 – Wolfgang Petersen signs on to direct.
- 2003-2006 – Writers such as David Benioff, DB Weiss, Dan Harris, and Michael Dougherty do rewrites for Warner Bros. The conflict and restraints of “green-screen” vs. “Budget” a continual debate and issue.
- 2007 – With no forward progress on the project, Petersen exits.
- 2007 -2008 – Warner Bros. spends the next year trying to find a replacement director to tackle the sci-fi tale. Lots of names are mentioned, rumored, and said to be in talks, including Ridley Scott, James Cameron and Zack Snyder, but none ever came to fruition.
- 2008 – In November, Warner Brothers’ option expires on the property. The project is considered dead.
- 2008 (one month later) – Oddlot Entertainment picks up the rights, and Card goes to work on a new script.
- 2009 – Card turns in his final draft of the “new” script.
- 2010 – In September, Oddlot hires director Gavin Hood to rewrite, and direct the project.
- 2010 – In November, Oddlot Entertainment joins forces with producers Alex Kurtzman & Roberto Orci.
- 2011 – In January, with a package that includes Writer/Director Hood, Producers Orci, Kurtzman, and Gigi Pritzker, and the blessing of Card (who despised the drafts previously done by Warners after his) Oddlot is set to find a new home for what could very well be one of the next big sci-fi epics.
- 2014 – New “Ender’s Game” film finally hitting theaters?
All we can do is wait… and see.
Pingback: Tweets that mention A New ENDERâ€™S GAME Hits The Market w/ Gavin Hood, Alex Kurtzman & Roberto Orci! | The Tracking Board -- Topsy.com
2014?? Â Worst news ever…. Please make it sooner…………