Hot new spec CRIMINAL is making it’s way around town. We’re hearing it’s already into the following:
- Hutch Parker Entertainment into CBS Films/Legendary Pictures/Millennium Entertainment
- Original Film into Columbia Pictures, Universal Pictures
- Mark Sourian into DreamWorks Studios
- Davis Entertainment into 20th Century Fox
- Escape Artists into Lionsgate/Summit Entertinment
- Bryan Brucks/Paul Walker into Relativity Media
The action-thriller is written by Douglas Cook & David Weisberg and revolves around the simple conceit of the right man in the wrong body. A dead CIA operative’s memories, secrets and skills are implanted into an unpredictable and dangerous prison inmate in hopes that he will complete the operative’s mission.
It’s a slippery slope with high concept ideas. They can be awesome in a “Face/Off” kind of way or not so awesome in a “Face/Off” kind of way. It’s all about tone and intent and I do hope the spec lives up to that elevator pitch.
Cook & Weisberg also wrote “Money Plane” and the previously titled “Bitches 11” for Summit. So they have a little experience with action hybrids. So they’ve probably pulled this one off, and no doubt are on their way to a sale.
We’ll keep you updated as the story unfolds.