David Benioff and D.B. Weiss will write and produce a new series of STAR WARS films, Disney announced Tuesday.
These new films will be separate from both the episodic Skywalker saga and the recently-announced trilogy being developed by Rian Johnson, writer-director of Star Wars: The Last Jedi.
“David and Dan are some of the best storytellers working today,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm, in a statement. “Their command of complex characters, depth of story and richness of mythology will break new ground and boldly push Star Wars in ways I find incredibly exciting.”
The writer/producer duo said they will transition to the new project as soon as they finish the final season of Game of Thrones.
“In the summer of 1977 we traveled to a galaxy far, far away, and we’ve been dreaming of it ever since,” Benioff and Weiss said in a joint statement. “We are honored by the opportunity, a little terrified by the responsibility, and so excited to get started as soon as the final season of Game of Thrones is complete.”
The schedule would seem to call into question whether Benioff and Weiss’s previously proposed GoT follow-up, Confederate, a direct-to-series project at HBO which was announced last July.
The project was met with swift backlash and it’s unclear if it’s still in development or moving forward.
The Star Wars franchise has expanded exponentially since Lucasfilm was bought by Disney in 2012. In addition to a new Skylwalker saga trilogy led by Daisy Ridley, John Boyga and Oscar Isaac, the company has also developed and released spinoff films, the first of which was 2016’s Rogue One, which will be followed by Solo, following a young Han Solo, set to be released in May.
In addition to Johnson’s trilogy, a Star Wars live-action TV series is also in development and is aiming for distribution on Disney’s forthcoming standalone streaming service.
Linda Ge | TV Editor