Yesterday Star Wars Celebration officially came to an end and while you may have seen the reel and poster for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, or read up on the details for Star Wars: Episode VIII and the Untitled Han Solo Film, there was a lot more that happened over the weekend and none of it should be missed.
In that vein, here’s a wrap-up of awesome things that happened at the convention, which took place in London, England this year.
1. According to Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy, the Star Wars Story films will probably not have an opening crawl, which has become one of the most recognizable aspects of this franchise.
2. There was an immersive exhibit for the film, showing off costumes and ships. You can view a gallery of the exhibit over at Collider.
One of the most talked about panels of the weekend was for the popular Disney XD animated show STAR WARS REBELS. They revealed the trailer for Season 3, and shed light on some pretty major developments.
3. Grand Admiral Thrawn, one of the most well-known villains from the no longer canon Star Wars Expanded Universe, will make his debut in the third season and now, in fact, be considered canon. This got a huge reaction from fans across the board.
4. Another fan-favorite, Rebel pilot Wedge Antilles, will show up in the new season.
5. A new character, Bendu, voiced by Tom Baker, will be introduced. Ceator Dave Filoni compares him to Tom Bombadil from The Lord of the Rings. He represents a set of belief held by the Order of Dai Bendu, and believes in the unifying power of the Force.
6. Lucasfilm’s ILMxLAB is developing a virtual reality project about Darth Vader that will be part of the Star Wars canon. Screenwriter David S. Goyer will be penning the script for it.
7. Mark Hamill commented on the secrecy surrounding these films, saying: “Your question about secrecy, they’re not doing it to annoy you. It’s just that they want the surprise to be in the movie theaters, not on the internet. You don’t want to know what you’re getting for your birthday!”
8. For fans of the EA Battlefront game: While The Force Awakens will not have a presence in the game, Rogue One will. The fourth and final downloadable content for the game is called Rogue One: Scarif and you’ll be able to play as lead character Jyn Erso.
9. The popular Sphero BB-8 toy will be getting an upgrade: an armband to control the Resistance droid, rather than using an app on your phone.
10. Speaking of toy news, Hasbro also revealed new action figures from their popular Black Series line, including Rogue One’s Jyn.
11. Carrie Fisher brought her two dogs with her on stage during the Future Filmmakers panel, and she and Mark Hamill agreed there were not enough pets in the Star Wars universe.
Anya Crittenton | Associate Editor