HOUSE OF CARDS Season 6 will resume production in 2018, without original star Kevin Spacey, Netflix boss Ted Sarandos announced Monday.
Sarandos made the comment during a panel at the UBS Global Media and Communications Conference in New York, also confirming that Season 6, the final installment of the political drama, will consist of eight episodes, down from the usual 13.
Netflix announced its decision to end the show, which will now revolve around Robin Wright’s character, after Spacey was accused of sexual assault by actor Anthony Rapp, who says Spacey made sexual advances towards him when he was 14 years old (and when Spacey was 26 years old). Spacey responded with an apology and by coming out as a gay man, angering some LGBTQ advocates, including GLAAD, but numerous more accusers came forward to make similar accusations.
The show is moving forward following Netflix’s decision last month to no longer work with Spacey in any capacity, including House of Cards and a planned biopic of Gore Vidal.
That left the ball in the court of House of Cards production company Media Rights Capital.
“We were really excited we could get to an agreement… for the conclusion of the show,” Sarandos said Monday, according to Variety.
Sarandos also said Season 6 would provide a “good creative conclusion” to the series.
Production on House of Cards will resume in January in Baltimore.
Linda Ge | TV Editor