In a big blow to Netflix, STAR WARS and Marvel films currently streaming on the platform will move to Disney’s own streaming platform when it launches, company CEO Bob Iger announced Thursday.
“We’ve now decided we will put the Marvel and ‘Star Wars’ movies on this app as well,” Iger said during his session at th Bank of America Merrill Lynch Media communications and entertainment conference.
The app was announced last month and it will end Disney’s distribution agreement with Netflix on subscription streaming of its theatrical releases, starting with the studio’s 2019 releases.
“This acquisition and the launch of our direct-to-consumer services mark an entirely new growth strategy for the company, one that takes advantage of the incredible opportunity that changing technology provides us to leverage the strength of our great brands,” Iger said at the time.
There was speculation about what would become of Marvel and Lucasfilm properties after the news of the new service was announced, and now it appears Iger has a clear answer for everyone.
On Thursday, Iger also revealed original movies and TV shows would be produced specifically for the streaming service, which is expected to launch in late 2019. A price point has not yet been set.
Linda Ge | TV Editor